Integration of students with special needs is not rocket science
Yesterday I was asked how I would ensure integration of students with special needs into my French classroom. (by the way, wish me luck, it was during an interview. I so need a permanent position for September!) Now that I think about my response, I realize that the way I would do so is not all that different from how I teach in general.
- Offer a variety of activities that use different modalities of learning
- Provide scaffolding and support as needed
- Provide a safe way for students to seek some down time when it is needed
- Get to know my students’ likes and dislikes, interests and abilities
- Talk with my students and their parents about their progress on an ongoing basis
Teaching practices that are explicit and mindful of all of the kids in my classroom will work for all kids, not just kids with special needs.