Mr. Wasserman re-directs

May 19, 2008 at 12:58 pm
filed under ShoutOuts
Tagged , , , , ,

Thanks to Jose for pointing me towards Mr. Wasserman who I NEED to applaud for writing this:

I don’t want this to be a complaining post. Nobody likes reading those, for starters, and May is such a great time of year to try to be happy. So instead, I’ve been thinking about things I can do which will raise my ability to respect myself as a teacher, which should translate into improvements, at least in my immediate sphere.

I’m digging the way he re-focuses his malaise towards what we can do to create positive change. How many times have I heard complaints about how our students:

It is rare that I see someone considering what to do as an alternative to complaining. Mr. Wasserman reflectively concludes:

But I want to focus on giving my students only meaningful work to do, only things that have a clear value to them. the trick, I suppose, is to figure out what those things are.

Yes, that is the trick. And I think it is really easy to do –> We need to spend more time talking with our students than at them. Well, at least the first part is easy. The second part is integrating what we find out with the curriculum we are teaching. I think that is what makes teaching an art.

I’ll be heading back to read Mr. Wasserman again.
Thanks Jose.

5 comments

RSS / trackback

respond

  1. jose

    on May 19, 2008 at 3:59 pm

    That’s how I roll. You’re welcome. He was a good pick-up in my RSS feed. Hope he replies to you as enthusiastically.

  2. Jeff Wasserman

    on May 19, 2008 at 7:53 pm

    Thanks, Tracy…I’m about to dive in to your blog. Can’t wait.

  3. tracy

    on May 19, 2008 at 11:05 pm

    Welcome! Glad to see you :)

  4. Steve Ransom

    on May 24, 2008 at 9:35 pm

    Giving students meaningful work is so “right”, but I don’t think it is always that easy to do with all of the competing distractions, restrictions, regulations, and responsibilities that come in to play for teachers. You are right in your statement that it is in making those logical connections between students and curriculum that is most difficult at times. That creative/artisitic component is crutial, for sure.

  5. Tracy

    on May 25, 2008 at 10:37 am

    Hi Steve,
    I agree, it is a challenging job – one of the most difficult there is. A creative balancing act, a performance piece! And when it is done with both the heart and the mind it…well, it rocks! :)
    Nice to see you again,
    t


Hillary Clinton et Donald Trump se livrent ce lundihogan outlet soir à leur premier duel télévisé, devant plus de scarpe hogan outlet? six semaines du scrutin, c'est le moment le plus scarpe hogan outletattendu de la course vers la Maison-Blanche. Cescarpe hogan outlet lundi soir, Hillary Clinton et Donald Trump scarpe hogan outlets'affrontent pour la première fois en direct scarpe hogan outletdevant les caméras de télévision. Un événementmoncler outlet online qui est à la campagne présidentielle ce que le moncler outlet onlineSuperbowl est au football américain: on attend moncler outlet onlineentre 100 et 150 millions de téléspectateurs woolrich outlet bolognapour cette heure et demie de thé?tre politiquewoolrich outlet bologna sans coupures publicitaires, retransmis woolrich outlet bolognaLes candidats jouent gros et ils se sontwoolrich outlet bologna préparés en conséquence. Trois duels moncler sito ufficialesont programmés d'ici au 9 octobre, mais moncler sito ufficialele premier est considéré comme le plus moncler sito ufficialeimportant, parce qu'il peut créer unedoudoune moncler impression durable et réduire le nombre doudoune monclerdes hésitants. Selon les sondages, ils sontdoudoune moncler un peu moins de 20 % à se déclarer indécisdoudoune moncler ou à être tentés par un troisième candidatdoudoune moncler - le libertarien Gary Johnson ou l'écologistedoudoune moncler Jill Stein. Or la compétition reste ultraserrée,doudoune moncler Donald Trump ayant presque entièrement rattrapé doudoune monclerle retard qu'il accusait sur Hillary Clinton doudoune monclerau mois d'ao?t. Les sondages nationaux donnentcanada goose pas chertoujours une avance de trois points en moyenne à la démocrate, mais le républicain s'est remis en selle dans unedemi-douzaine d'?tats clés, notamment la Floride,canada goose pas cherl'Ohio, la Caroline du Nord, l'Iowa, le canada goose pas cherNevada et l'Arizona. Clinton tient toujours la canada goose pas chercorde en Pennsylvanie, en Virginie, dans lecanada goose pas cher Michigan, le New Hampshire et le Wisconsin